Hello

Welcome to the Killer Lit Blog - a place to participate in our Classic Literature book club, please do suggest books for our reading list, and join in with reviews and discussions about the books on the list.

Sunday 31 July 2011

An Odyssey in Literature

I have always had a desire to read as many of the books that are considered to be Literary classics as possible.  Some of these are ancient classics, and some are modern classics, many are classics of English Literature, others are classics from other languages and cultures.

It is my birthday today and next year is a milestone birthday (ouch).  Life is rushing past so fast so I have decided to make a formal plan to start ticking these greats off my list, as frankly, I am not getting any younger!  (My Gran says she is glad to hear I am 'bettering myself')

I already have a decent number of these books under my belt, having read them already, so rather than revisiting them all again in written form, I plan to approach this book list in a different way.  I will read many of these books, particularly the ones I have not read before, but in revisiting the ones I have already read, I plan instead to listen to them, as read by some fantastic narrators.


I have been a bookworm from early childhood, and always have a pile of books by bed, I will always love the feel of a book, the smell of the ink and the paper, that will never change.  But, in recent years I have also become a fan of audiobooks.  A well read audiobook can really bring a story to life, and add another dimension to the stories remembered from the written words I have previously enjoyed.  Also, when all the accents are done perfectly, it really adds a lot of drama and authenticity to the story hearing it that way.    Audiobooks are an opportunity to be listening to fantastic stories, instead of tacky radio stations, while I work at my desk, in the studio, travelling, or pottering around the house.  I look forward to chores and driving now, as I can immerse myself in epic stories of love, heroism and adventure while I go about my daily grind.  

This list will be evolving and expanding.  As a start point, I asked the people in my life and my followers in the twitterverse too, to give me suggestions of their personal much loved classics for my list.  My next post will have the first 50 essential books we came up with between us for my list.

No comments:

Post a Comment